see Although widely believed, there is limited evidence that the post lunch sleepiness is caused by the body restricting/starving the brain of blood flow and redirecting it perhaps the stomach. In fact, the body preferentially maintains blood flow to the brain under a range of activities including running and high intensity work when a large amount of blood flow is diverted to muscles, blood flow to the brain is maintained. There is evidence that there is no measurable change of blood flow in the carotid artery (main artery that supplies blood to your brain) after lunch or meals.
Based on evidence the quality of your sleep, especially the previous night, plays a clear role in your post lunch slump irrespective of the quality of your food.
Evidence suggest that foods rich in protein are the best to reduce post lunch slump, followed by carbohydrates and fat. However it is not clear what causes the difference. Normally post lunch slump is not a dangerous or a sign of a greater health problem. Indians have some unique insulin related metabolic risks. Check your key health markers.
So DNA recommends :
- Focus on maintaining a good circadian rhythm..
- Try to sleep at the same time every night.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep. And
- Avoid late night meals/food after 8 pm) which trigger insulin and other hormonal response in your body that disturbs quality of your sleep.
- Eat lunch richer in protein, limit carbohydrates and minimize fat for lunch.
- Avoid liquid sugar-rich drinks.
http://ninacrews.com/wp-json/oembed/1.0/embed?url=http://ninacrews.com/author-visits/photo-29/ Let us know if it helped
Stay Informed. Stay Healthy !